In the Monday morning panic over what to cook for breakfast before work,…. The voluminous bags of swiss chard collected while ‘foraging’ my father’s garden stared back at me, challenging me to use them all up before they went bad. I grabbed two of the large pillowy bags, and continued to stare aimlessly into the refrigerator.
And kept chopping. And chopping.
Inspiration struck midway through finishing (chopping!) the stems, and this recipe for Swiss Chard Wraps with Egg & Swiss was born. We’ve had these swiss chard wraps several times since, over toast, on it’s own in a bowl, and piled onto whatever fresh bread we happen to have on hand. Jim and I agreed that it satisfies our need for a healthy start to the day that fills us up until lunchtime. And they’re delicious, by the way.
|Swiss Chard Wraps with Egg & Swiss|
- 1 spring onion, diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
- 4 eggs, scrambled with a tablespoon of water
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tortillas (we prefer the 8″ Comal Tortillas from Trader Joes)
- 2 oz. mild french swiss cheese, like Gruyere or Emmental
- Coat non-stick skillet with cooking spray, add the spring onions and chopped swiss chard and saute over medium heat until wilted through. Add eggs, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until eggs are just set, stirring frequently. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, heat two tortillas topped with 1 oz. of cheese each in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven until just barely melted and warm. Be careful here – you don’t want to cook the tortillas too much or crisp them – just warm them slightly so they are ‘foldable’.
- Place one tortilla on a plate and top with half of the swiss chard and egg mixture. Roll up like a burrito, cut in half, and serve warm.